Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad [Our Lady of Solitude] was founded in 1791. (It is interesting to learn how many cities were named after their missions.) The mission was left in ruins in 1835 after Mexico gained its independence from Spain and the missions that were allegiant to the Spanish Catholic Church were disestablished by Mexico. In the 1950s the pile of adobe bricks that remained were eventually restored. It is now a functioning Catholic church and museum. The bell in the museum is the original.