In 2020 Live Oak Park turned one hundred. Part of the dedication ceremony in 1920 included voting on a name. Live Oak Park was unanimously chosen. Its history goes back much further than a century. The now twenty seven acre park was originally inhabited by the Luiseño people, who depended on the oaks to make acorn meal. The mortars used to grind the acorns are evidence of their ancient tradition.
Growing up in De Luz, we used to come here as kids, and Murrieta Elementary School used to do a yearly field trip to the park. In the 80s there was a super fun gigantic metal merry-go-round which has since been removed and replaced with something kid friendly. The playset is great but the entire park is a playground. Climbing trees, stomping on boulders, and playing hide and seek is just as much fun.