Calico Ghost Town is located just three miles off the 15 freeway and is the halfway point between Mesquite (our stop for the night) and Oceanside. This was all of our first times here and we didn’t know really what to expect. What a pleasant surprise! The old West mining town was founded in 1881 but a little over a decade later, when silver lost its value, the previously bustling town became a ghost town. In its heyday, it had a population of 1,200, and twenty two saloons (that works out to 54.5 patrons per saloon). In the 1950s, Walter Knott (the founder of Knott’s Berry Farm) purchased Calico Ghost Town, restored the buildings, and then donated the town to San Bernardino County. Calico Ghost Town is like Knott’s Berry Farm’s Calico Ghost Town’s younger, prettier, more popular, taller, blond sister. We cannot wait to go back and ride the train and take the mining tour (and maybe even camp).