The unincorporated community of Fort Klamath is named after the military outpost, Fort Klamath. Fort Klamath was established in 1863, an important Army post during conflicts with local tribes. The fort consisted of more than 50 buildings, including a sawmill. The site (listed on the National Register of Historic Places) is an eight acre parcel of land, with a museum, a jail and a post office. Although a post office dates back to 1879, the one on the grounds was used from 1956-1965.
In 1863, someone from Fort Klamath perished, and so the Fort Klamath Historic Cemetery was established. The cemetery location was chosen due to its proximity to the military post hospital.